Pages

.

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

3-3-15 Wheeeee 2nd-Graders!, #Thanks5 and Charming-Voice

7:30 PM

Well, sorrow lasts for a night but joy comes in the morning, doesn't it?

WHAT. WHAT DID YOU SAY?



I said I feel better. I no longer have the sads. After an atrocious Monday, Tuesday was right lovely. Here's what I wrote in the afternoon, Thank List, then anecdotes:


71. My snack-apple, giant and red and delicious and perfect. Sustenance that tastes like sunshine.
72. The bookcase JY got for me--desk doesn't look messy anymore!
73. My new locker, which not only allows for further decluttering of my desk, but is also the first locker I've ever had and which even has my name on it. It makes me feel safe to have a locker--not sure why.
74. HS being sweet to me, finding me a room key when I locked my stuff in.
75. Toasty-warm English room to rest in, handy for maps and study and thankful thinking. My peaceful spot.
76. SY, her joy upon seeing me, making me welcomed. May I do the same for others.
77. Meat at lunch! So much meat, and tasty tasty pajeon, the green onion pancakes cooked up all golden.
78. Finally seeing my Jeongminnie's face in the lunch line after missing him yesterday.
79. New nametag on my desk, a cute font with a little green tree on it. This is my desk! It's me! This is where I'm planted!
80. My apple corer-peeler-slicer arriving. future healthy snacks for the kids.



Not too bad of a morning! Had one class with HS where I tried out my new idea of playing a film and doing commentary through it, asking questions and then having everybody recap the show afterwards.

Went pretty well. Had some sleepers, but that's fine because the first week doesn't really count anyway--we start in the book from next week.

I had several low-level boys who I'd never met  answering questions in Korean. It was great to know that they'd understood the English just fine.

At lunch, I went up to SY's office and we went to lunch together. She had to leave early though, because hilariously, the baby 1st-graders don't know how to find the lunch room, how to queue up for food once they're there, or where to sit once they have their food. So SY will have no free time with me for a month, but we can start sneaking in hangout time in April.

Me and JY walked around the soccer field twice and! AND! anñnnnd! The back half of the soccer field adjoins the high school next door, so we saw our boys!!!

Ahhhh! Aghhhgh! Fsjtsgjgydjjfarshsggblagh!

I saw Geon, Yonghan, Soccer Minwoo, Minsu, Cheolho, Hojin, Woojin, and my Minjoonie. I nearly split my face from smiling--the sweetest thing ever. JY yelled greetings to her kids, I yelled to mine, and everyone was joyous.

And on our next lap around the soccer field, we were greeted by boys we didn't know, so it's fair to say that a lot of the people in the school were inspired to get in on the reunion act.

I spent a couple of morning hours in the English room, writing Emily Dickinson poetry on the whiteboard and getting in some rest. I felt a it more calm and peaceful after putting my head down for a little while. Sweet, healing sleep, and the reminder that everything is in God's hands.

He's Got The Whole Bunny In His Hands. 
(And I'm the Bunny.)

---------------------------------------------------


7:37 PM:

So actually that "fine" first class with the 2nd-graders was the worst one of the day and my next two classes were killer awesome woo-woo strobelight!

The first class was not as good because I went in feeling stressed. I had no computer key, I wasn't sure I was in the right room, and I wasn't sure who would be me co for the class, all of which had me bummed. My attitude influenced the outcome.

But for the next two classes, the kids went wild when I entered the door. These were my loved ones from last year, my 1st-grade buddies grown into midsize. Each time, I chatted with the whole room before HS got there, and half the kids (the low-level ones who I've never taught) kept exclaiming in shock and murmuring in awe that I was using Korean. I guess a larger portion than i think has never heard me do it.

We watched our movie, pausing for questions, and they were INTO it. Both classes were clever and involved and I had the best time ever.

And I got the cutest/weirdest compliment from Giseok, who has always loved me. I was chatting to the room and he slumped over his desk and said in Korean, "Ughhh, her voice is so charming. Ahhh..." I was shocked into silence at that one. Another kid explained, "Very very good voice, teacher." Funny how nice you can sound when you're happy and resting peacefully in the company of your kids.

So I taught three homeroom classes today, and from next week we'll divide into levels and I ought to have level A in the English Room, which is a big win for me. 

2nd-grader Minsang texted me today (and got in a phonecall, too--he's actually one of the few kids that want to talk on the phone). He said that his friends all think I look exactly like a doll, but he apologetically admitted that he told them I only look somewhat like a doll.  He includes tear-filled emojis to let me know his deep grief over not complimenting me highly enough.

After our 3rd class together, HS came over and hugged me and said in awe, "You're a good teacher!" I was stunned and bubbling over with happiness. This is the first time she's seen me in my element, truly connecting and reveling in opening students' minds, But I don't want relief to turn to pride in my accomplishment--I can't let anything nasty in!

Walk on, give thanks to God, stay peaceful, and be ready to be surprised by joy.

scared-bunny-binky
dun-a-dun-a-dun-a---'Prise!