Pages

.

Monday, March 16, 2015

3-16-15 Archdukes and #Thanks16

7 PM:  Things I'm thankful for and what I did today:

181. My half-dry hair, changing colors from dark to light.
182. Broccoli in the fridge, greens on the stove.
183. A new English teacher saying my Korean pronunciation is excellent, like native speaker level.
184. Handshakes from half a million first-graders who have decided that hand-shaking is a very exciting short of thing to do.
185. Some of my B-level boys from last year moving up to A-level in the 3rd grade, so I get to have them in class. Chanhee, Changhee, and Daejeong.
186. New 3rd grade teacher at lunch, being pleasant and kind. New acquaintances are always welcome.
187. JY translating helpful phrases for me. Learned how to say, "how do they feel about each other" and "he feels guilty", all related to the Chronicles of Narnia film.
188. Solid sweet lemon candy, just on the verge of crunching.
189. SG's student, baby Youngminnie, asking me if I've had lunch, in the most formal language imaginable.
190. Breathing room, thanks to a sudden fire drill scheduled for this afternoon, I've got a wee bit of a rest--5 classes instead of 6. It's peaceful.




1:50 PM.  Doing all right! Got through 4 classes fine and now I've got a breather before my convo class.

I just finished reading a book called "An Abundance of Katherine's" and in this book, a bunch of wacky things happen, but one of them is that a couple of teenage boys go on a road trip that culminates in their finding a town in Tennessee which is the surprising final resting place of Franz Ferdinand.

Except it's not. This novel had me soooooo  perfectly convinced that the final resting place of Archduke Franz Ferdinand--he whose fateful assassination kick-started the World War 1--was somehow magically in Tennessee, but it's not. He's interred in an Austrian castle, like any respectable archduke would be.

Goes to show just how much fiction can affect real life. It actually reminds me of my dad's advice to read the bible for myself when I was younger. Because before you know it, you can rely on hearsay as fact; you'll can accept the word of preachers and teachers as if it was the actual word of God.

I recall a few times over the years hearing a message from a minister that contained something that was flat-out not in the bible. Most cases, I believe these were mistakes or oversights with no ill intent, but they sure SOUNDED accurate, so I would have beloved them if I hasn't checked the facts for myself.


Lessons learned: People are fallible. God's word is not. And the Archduke is not buried in Tennessee.