Pages

.

Thursday, March 12, 2015

3-12-15 Phones Confuse Her, and #Thanks14

161. The pretty face of my dear friend, SG, who is a dear ally in class.
162. The kindness of my vice principal.
163. Cracking myself up, preparing to relate a new joke to friends.
164. Warm inside-shoes at school. I Gary to stay toasty and insulated for another few weeks.
165. Knowing that while we're in Lion-March now (as in, March comes in like a lion), Lamb-March is not far away.
166. Emily Dickinson poetry, written by me on the whiteboard of the English room.
167. People who make anagrams for fun.
168. Strawberries for lunch, a red surprise.
169. Minhee's loud, brash voice blaring "hellooo!" While smiling sweetly.
170. SY's thinking about me, reminding me that we've got a vacation coming up.



11 AM: First two classes went fine. Darling 2nd grades, then quiet 3rd-graders, except for Jongyoon, who couldn't be quiet if his life depended on it. He was a bit annoying, but me and SG still handled things fine.

In funny news, JY is gone today, to take care of something, and when her desk phone rang I answered it haltingly, not sure of phone etiquette. I asked our vice principal how to answer the phone, like what set Korean phrases to use, and he said I didn't need to worry about it.

He solved my problem by sending out a message to every teacher in the school, asking them not to call JY's phone because I am there by myself, and I'm perplexed about how to answer.

It's exactly the kind of thing that would have mortified me once upon a time. But now I just has the reaction of surpressing wild laughter, because it's pretty funny that I'm a single woman earning my own living half a world away from my family, but to the older men in my life, I'm someone who needs to be protected from the hardships of phone-answering. It was awfully sweet of him, and I treasure that level of kindness.



1 PM : Lunch over, and it's right lonely without JY here. In 30 minutes, I'll be teaching SG's homeroom with her, which sounds fun.

Passed Jongyoon in the hallway, ducked out of an attempted hug-ambush from him, only to have Gyuhee do the same thing, only Gyuhee refused to be turned aside. Normally, if let him have one because Gyuhee is sweet as pie, but at the time there were older Guy-Teachers coming down the hall and I didn't want to look like a pushover.

So when I couldn't physically move him, I told him to quit, and that made him move. Gyuhee is a gentleman at heart.



2:30 PM: Had class with SG's homeroom! Suuuuuuper cute. And one of the tiny ones remembered me saving him last week. I saw a tall 1st-grader teasing an unfathomably small child by keeping his phone away, holding it just out of reach.

I could tell that it was done between at least acquaintances and possibly friend--they seemed to know each other and there was no fear or anger. But I could sense that the little guy was reaching his limit. I told the tall one to stop, so he did.

The little one is Seungwoo, and he told me in Korean, "You helped me." So. Sweet.

Also in that class is Youngmin, an unfailingly polite student with mild autism. He wanted to shake my hand many times and to ask me if I know how to sing Arirang. I do!