Pages

.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

3-11-15 Why So Pretty and #Thanks13

Thank List:

151. Wise words from my mother.
152. Having a mirror that matches JY's--we bought 2 little desk mirrors.
153. Governor Yunho, always winking and blowing kisses, being his beautifully wacky and charming self.
154. The scald of a hot coffee cup, on the front and backs of hands.
155. Jaehoon, his glowing little face lighting up the office.
156. A note from one of King Sejong's famous letters to the people, hand-scratched by Jeongminnie and delivered to me. It's the equivalent of writing out the Gettysburg address and passing it along to your Spanish teacher.
157. Learning that Korean wasn't always written left-to-right like English. It used to be up-to-down on the page, like Chinese. It changed over recently--JY's mom used to read up-and-down books in school.
158. Finding Seven Brides for Seven Brothers GIFS on the internet. It's probably my favorite musical (splitting time with Singin' in the Rain, My Fair Lady, and The Sound of Music.). Reminds me of childhood.
159. Silver shiny sequins on the bag I carry to class. Reflection, illumination.
160. Brave 2nd-graders, making conversation on the porch while watching the soccer game.



10:20 AM

Slept a little in the English room and now I feel better. I was not in the best mood this morning, and rest seems to improve everything.

I think a lot of my goal for this school year will simply be staying well-rested enough to get classes handled.
---------------------------------

11:26 AM

First and only class went well, had nice 3rd-graders. Jonghyuk is a smart kid I've seen around town a lot, but I've never taught him until now. He and Guitar-Sanghwi understood basically everything I said. Yunho was Yunho. Everyone was pretty well entertained by the film and the discussion.
------------------------------

1 PM
After lunch, I stood outside and watched the soccer game while various 2nd-graders came by to chat. I talked with Byeong-il, Jaehoon, Dohyun, Dongchann, Joongsu, Jeongmook, Hansem and more. It was fun, despite the cold, and there were several more low-levels who got comfortable enough to come around and make a few comments.

Dohyun gave me his extra fruit juice cup, and I  really appreciated the gesture.

--------

2 PM

One of the 1st grade babies followed me up the stairs asking, "Why are you so pretty?" In Korean. Dawwww. We proceeded to have a conversation about his previous  elementary school's native teacher, all in Korean. What I figure happened was the little ones spread the word that I understand some Korean, and over time, kids began to understand 'some' as 'all'.

4 PM

Another small horde of 1st-graders came into the English room busy as I was leaving. They were there to clean the place, but their main order of business was to find out how old I was. I told them it's a secret, since I've stopped telling the kids my age.

I used to think complete disclosure was helpful, but it turns out the kids are plenty happy without the knowledge.
 ---------------------------------