Pages

.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

4-16-14 Joonsung Sweetness, Territorialism, and Hyo

11 AM: Am so very tired. I took up running as a hobby because all my friends are runners, and it's got me worn out a bit. I can tell this is going to help my future health, fitness and energy, though.

First classes had good moments. lots of boys really trying to work on their stories. Tiring because of all the one-on-one time, though. But I'm cementing relationships with a lot of the kids like Sleepy Moonshik and Daehwan-n-Yechan and Hyungu-n-Chanwook, etc.

And I modified each lesson 3 more times, getting easier and clearer each time.

Yesterday, Joonsung came by to use my computer like he always does, but I was so busy fixing lessons, I couldn't address him. I kept telling him no in Korean, telling him to wait, that I needed my computer. He stood over me and kept talking to me while I basically ignored him. I had 10 minutes to alter a lesson before giving it to a fresh batch of 2nd-graders.

So when I wouldn't look up at him, Joonsung placed his hands on either side of my face and gently turned my head toward him. When I looked up, he was smiling patiently. And I realized that this must be the way his caretakers get his attention when he's ignoring them. I smiled and had to keep working, but I finished early and let him use the computer.

That was yesterday. He came by again this morning and I let him use the computer then, too.

Yesterday, I had it confirmed that I'm the source of a territory war between Jeongmin and Hyunho. For the Lunchtime Games, Hyunho came by to get me instead of Jeongmin. It didn't matter to me which kid picked me up from the office--the point, to me, is that I get to go be with the students and see them having fun while maybe hearing a little about that day.

But Hyunho decided we should play in class 2-3 instead of 2-4...his homeroom, not Jeongmin's. In hindsight, it was also probably a calculated move to make it harder for Jeongmin to find us. Because Jeongmin didn't show up until there were only about 5 minutes of lunchtime left.

I asked where he'd been and he said, "Outside, searching for you." He looked so hurt that I felt guilty, and I hadn't even done anything. I asked him to stay and play Jenga, but he waved a paper in his hand and said, "I have to do this homework by tomorrow." He gestured to the other kids playing Jenga and said, "They have to do it too, but they're playing..." It was like the good son, get nothing while the prodigals have a grand time. I told him that in the future, I'd leave him a note if I went upstairs before he found me.

Why does Hyunho have to be so sneaky about this stuff? He knew I wouldn't know what was going on and that I wouldn't care which student found me first, but that Jeongmin would care. Hyo also coudln't find me and asked me in class, "Teacher, lunchtime, where? Not see." Hyo was really disappointed that he didn't get his lunchtime discussion in. Eek, one misstep in regard to where you'll be and at what time, and you've got massively letdown students. I must start leaving notes. I must!

But I also heard form Mr. B that Hyunho's been having behavioral problems at home, like tantrums and breaking things? Last week he was out of school and I thought he was on vacation, but his mom had pulled him out of school, either for treatment or discipline. He's always been intelligent and sweet and good for me, but I know he's been less smiley and much louder/more aggressive this semester (and sneakier, too). I'll pray for him.
--------------------------

3 PM: Lunchtime Games were good! Jeongmin has told me he couldn't come today and said I should go on with Hyunho, but later when I did go with Hyunho, Jeongmin was upstairs waiting. So anyways, I had Lunchtime Games with everybody pertinent--Jeongmin, Hyunho, AND Hyo.

This morning Hyo rode his bike beside me on the way to school for several minutes. We talked about his family in Incheon, where he often visits. He wanted to make sure that he didn't miss me today at lunch. At lunch games we didn't really get to talk, but I did save him from being sat upon by Hyunho. Hyunho is small but strong, but Hyo is just small, so it was still too much for him, so I gave Hyunho half my chair.

Hyunho and Jeongmin seemed to be getting along, but Hyunho did say something rude to Jeongmin. Hyunho told him to "stop being cute in front of Sem because it disgusts me". Once I figured out what he was saying, I told him that Jeongmin wasn't begin cutesy, he was just being nice and I liked his behavior. Hyunho just kept saying, "Maybe Sem likes it, but it still makes me disgusted so cut it out."

Gyuseong did the same thing later, saying I shouldn't pay attention to Jeongmin. Then Jeongmin and Hyunho teamed up to pin Gyuseong to the floor and twist his arms into uncomfortable shapes, whereupon I made them stop... I just don't know. People say girls are weird, but girls have nothing on this folderol. I can't keep track of who's mad at who, who's playing power games for frivolous reasons, and who's just a silly kid having fun.

I do know that Hyo told me he'd been crying this morning. He couldn't tell me why, but I told him to come to my office when he's in trouble.
-----------------------------------------------