Pages

.

Monday, April 14, 2014

4-15-14 All the Hugs, Rude Jiyoon, and Quiet Minjong

11 AM: Yesterday was just so jam-crammed with stuff to do, I couldn't write much.

But classes passed okay. My 1st-grade class was amazing and I gave them all goodbye hugs when they left class, because they requested it. I was holding my English textbook to myself, so we had a bit of a barrier there. Even so, Jaeyeong got back in line four times. After 3 hugs, I told him to just leave or he'd be late for his next class.

Afterschool went okay. We did a zombie activity from the 2nd grade classes, but Jiyoon was acting up so bad I had to take him out in the hall. When I called his name he had said in quick succession, "What, man? Hey baby? What, woman? What, grandmother?" He was trying to be rude and I was ready to take him down to the 1st-floor office, but he begged and we just stood and talked for a few minutes. I told him that he was a smart and funny boy. But that he could be a better person. Don't know if he understood, but we didn't have any more rudeness.

This morning, Quiet Minjong got some work done when I addressed it with him, solo-style. I was so proud and I had him come to the office for chocolate because Minjong more than other kids seems...tragic? I don't know if he's just a quiet kid with a somber expression, but even when I taught him last year, I'd catch him staring at the wall, looking burdened. Everybody gets tired and everybody gets bored, but Minjong's a different level, and his smiles are rare, so I was glad to talk with him and tell him I was proud.

Soonwoo and Yeonghan did great work, getting into deep and thoughtful discussions about their choices. GOSH. They talked about stuff and argued their points with me. I could have pinched their squishy, beautiful cheeks. Hyunho was also a master of writing thoughtful things. My boy in unstoppable in English class.

And Hyunseop, a cutie pie with a few broken fingers due to some unknown accident, together with Donggu, a budding comedian who had seemed humorless last year, did some great stuff. They even wrote "Leigh Teacher" as one of the characters they'd take with them on the boat if zombies attacked.

---------------------------------