Pages

.

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

11-6-14 Ball on the Roof, and Seunghoon's Fever

11 AM

Still got a cold, but I'm getting business done just fine. Just unlocked a room for Sanghwi the guitar player, who explained to me in clear English that he and his buddy needed a ball and that the only way to get it was to go into this spare room.

I though they'd locked the ball in the room, but in fact they had kicked the ball onto this large outcropping of 2nd-floor roof which was only accessible by climbing out of the spare room window. It's fully enclosed and covered with grass and weeds, so it looks like a ghetto garden of some sort, and sure enough, there lay the soccer ball in question.

It was safe enough, and Sanghwi thanked me profusely. And it occurred to me that since I've never taught him, he can't quite remember my name which is why he greeted me in the hallway as, "Oh, Elsa Sem. Do you have a room key for English room?" I didn't know that anybody but 1st-graders called me Elsa Sem, but it may be the go-to name for others.

2-1, 2-2 was good. Love my Soonhyuk, and Beomjoon did his part nicely, which was extra sweet considering that he did something really inappropriate toward me on Monday--something bad enough to not repeat in writing, but not bad enough to report him to the school discipline committee for. My Beomjoonie is just one of the "bad" boys at school and I have to adore him while not letting him get away with any weirdness. It's a fine line.

About 4 of my kids have added me on Facebook. I remember being furious with BY for looking up my Facebook a few months ago, and that was when he couldn't even see my timeline, but now I'm just letting the 3rd-graders add me as a friend like it's no thing. My Facebook is super kid-friendly--all I ever post is vacation photos, food photos, and stuff about the kids themselves, anyways. And how could anybody say no to Minhwe when he asks to be added? You couldn't.

-------------------------------------------

4:20 PM   My poor Seunghoon (3rd grade) has a fever so bad, I can feel it in his face. He looked pitiful, so I put my hands on either side of his face and prayed for God to heal him. Poor baby has to go to hagwon after this, then school and hagwon tomorrow before he "has time" to go to the hospital on Saturday.

I don't mention Seunghoon too terribly much, but he's a constant presence in my world. He's quiet, smart, and unassuming. He's got a giving heart and one of the sweetest natures among the kids.