Pages

.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

11-5-14 Persistent Colds and Speaking Tests

3:20 PM  Good day. Had a nassssty cold this morning, but it cleared right up by noon. I think my colds disappear when exposed to strong sunlight because the last 3 days I've woken up feeling lame and snuffly, only to rally after 3 or 4 hours.

I had a great class with 1-7, 1-8, who have been a little nuts of late, so that was pleasant. I sat down with Jihoo and Jihoon and chatted, which led to us bonding. Jihoon is the huge-eyed baby from my spring afterschool, the one overrun by Wiliam-Jiyoon's antics. He and I made slow progress together back then, but we bumped it up a few notches today. We're laughing and teasing like true buddies.

NG and I worked out the details of the kids' speaking tests. the big scheduling issue is that we have Korean SATs for highschoolers next week on Thursday, which means that even middle schools are closed so that people can be quiet and calm for that day. Often, middle school teachers have to go and proctor that test, too.

Also, I won't be there Friday because of a culture trip the native teachers are all going on. All told, it means I'll be administering 3 speaking tests this Friday, so the kids can have their answers recorded.

In cute news, I pulled up the Korean lyrics to Roy Kim's "Bom Bom Bom" with 1-7, 1-8 and we all sang the first verse. Then I repeated the procedure with 3-1, 3-2, and they were even better--sweet voices, all together on the song. It was the best.
---------------------------------------------------------------------