Pages

.

Monday, November 10, 2014

11-11-14 Pepero Day, and Walking With SY

11 AM   It's Pepero Day and my desk looks like a fountain of chocolate boxes. I think I got 3 boxes last year, and now it's about 15.

Got things from Jeongmin, C-Jeongmin, Minjoonie, Youngmin, Cheongyu, Ponyfish Minwoo, Guhyun, Jinseo and others. BY honestly didn't know that he was supposed to have gotten anything, despite other kids ribbing him for forgetting the special day, and Sujin told me he'd left his present at home. I actually think Sujin doesn't want to give anything on the same day that other kids are giving stuff, because that un-special-ifies it.

HH eyed the pile of Pepero on my desk like it was an infectious fungus and I knew better than to tease him about not getting me anything, Some of the kids(like my Yunho in 2nd grade) think it's cute when I joke with them about their lack of presents, but HH is a Level 99 Serious Boy and doesn't take jokes very well.

SG2 is still having troubles with her one wall-punching homeroom student, but she was all smiles this morning, due to the sweetness of her other kids on Pepero Day. She's been getting piles of goodies and it just makes you so happy to know that cute little people think you're special.

---------------------------------------

1:40 PM  Been the best day so far. SY and me went for a super-long lunchtime walk and talked about so many  things. She really brightens my day. She noticed that I didn't look happy at lunch yesterday and she ran me through a list of her thoughts on the subject. I told her I was just looking down because I had a cold for almost two weeks, but I was grateful that she had devoted any time to think of me.

She and I are going to the movies next week again. There was a French movie she wanted to see, but for me that would mean listening to French while reading Korean subtitles (which is actually doable--I know a teensy bit of French and my Korean reading skills are really picking up speed). We then switched to an English sci-fi movie, which is better if you see it in a certain special type of theater, so we may be heading out of town for that.

SY told me that she's always envious of a Korean-Canadian friend of hers who's fluent in English, because if she was like that friend she could talk to me more. I told her not to worry about it because I've learned so much from her, language gap and all. I've learned Korean words, but also learned about history, social issues, school funding...we talk about big subjects, and I learn new facts as well as new vocabulary. Talking with SY is good for me in all ways, and she's a believer too, so we can talk about the Lord.