Pages

.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

11-19-14 Translating Comics, and Russian History

8:40 AM   First morning where I have had to wear earmuffs on the walk to school because it's -2 Celsius outside. But despite the freezing cold, I can at least rest assured that my earmuffs are adorable, so says the guy who works at the convenience store, and also Dohyun's mom, who I ran into as she was leaving school.

I'm currently translating a Korean comic book that I read in college, and the process is hilarious. I understand the story because I read the translated English version 8 years ago, but I forget the specifics and the vocabulary is really complex, so translating the Korean text to English is quite involved. Now that I consider it, this comic book--Chocolat--was the first Korean thing I ever consumed, even if I was reading it in English.


Illustration From Chocolat. Their Eyes Are the Size of The Moon.

My 3rd-graders occasionally help me with the translation, but some concepts are just too complicated for the aveage kid to explain to me, so BY helpfully explained a few of the tougher ones.

Yesterday, my Wooseok came by the desk to watch Beauty and the Beast with me and Hyo. If you had EVER told me that rough-n-tumble Wooseok would willingly pull up a chair to watch an animated feature about the power of love, I would have called you crazy.

Aferschool yesterday was stunning. We finished watching Anastasia, and Cheolho enttertained me with historical details, such as the fact that the Qing Dynasty in China was not Chinese but Manchurian. When asked to draw his favorite character from Anastasia he drew "this extra!" It was a random side character in a Cossack hat who had appeared during the song sequence in St. Petersburg. To the drawing of the extra, he added "picture of Joseph Stalin!" so now his paper has a mid-sized Cossack extra on it, with Stalin's giant head floating menacingly above him.

The things the kids do that you can't make up, I swear. 

My Changho in afterschool continues to be beautiful and amazing, and Hoyeong is getting smarter all the time. He asks the best questions ever. He asks them in Korean, but he has the brightest mind.

Went to the movies with SY last night and had the best time. She's a great friend and I'm so fortunate to have her.
----------------------------------------------------