Pages

.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

12-3-14 Vanilla Cookie Birthday

9:15 AM  It's still blessedly, beautifully snowy. I walked to school in my snow boots and didn't fall down, and it was a pretty view on the way, complete with trees that looked like they'd been painted with cake frosting.

The weather is super lovely, the school is super cold, and I'm doing well. It's the tip-tail end of the semester, so everything's winding down. It's less than two weeks until finals, and I'm just doing speaking with the 2nd-graders, speaking and games with 1st, and movies with the 3rd-graders. Everybody's sleepy and chill and just getting the daily stuff done. We were all really picked up by the change in the weather--refreshed by snow as it were.

Lately I've been praying for NG because he's got this big work thing weighing on his mind. He's having to come up with creative lessons and he works best within a traditional structured format. It's a whole new thing for him and it's counter-intuitive, like when I had to learn how to teach a class based heavily on visual materials like Powerpoint, instead of based on conversation between myself and my students. I know he'll get it eventually, but right now it's a really unpleasant process, changing his whole style.

Yesterday was Ponyfish Minwoo's birthday. He had a cold and was gloomy, and he wanted me to make cookies for his birthday--vanilla was the request. So last night I stayed home from dance practice and made 50 vanilla tea cakes, some for Minwoo and some for the other kids. I also drew him a birthday card, so I'll have his present ready to go when he visits later.

-------------------------------------------------------------