Pages

.

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

9-3-14 Quinoa Tea, Email Help, and Someone Like You

10:30 AM:  Drinking some kind of hot 10-grain quinoa tea thing from C-Jeongmin. I get something from him everyday, always some tiny food-present, given where nobody can see it. It's precious.

HH came by with Yonghan and crew, to chat and get chocolate. I'm putting together a game where kids guess the sport from clues, so I asked them for sports suggestions and we got to talking about the 2018 Winter Olympics, which Korea will be hosting.

The boys told me that our new math teacher, a sweet guy in my office, always says, "okay kids, be quiet" in an unusual Korean accent, so they find that really funny and imitate-able. I say this means that they've accepted him as one of their own, because if the kids don't think you're a monster or a nerd or complain about you, their love is not yet true. The way the homeroom kiddoes complain about cute little SG1 and delicate, swanlike YSR is nothing short of stunning.

Minjoonie is sleepy, Deokryong's hands are covered in black ink for unknown reasons, Jaehee charmed me out of my last apple (which was fine because we had snacks of deok in our office today and I wasn't hungry), and Taekyoon still insists that I call him "Pringles," a nickname I invented for him last week.

Me and B-Teacher haven't had classes today, because of listening tests or some such. Which is good because I'm at 75% energy from fighting a cold. I'm taking medicine and mostly keeping the sniffles at bay, but I know it's the medicine keeping the cold away, not my own constitution. Just beneath the veneer of health enforced by the pills, I feel a weary body, just resting and recharging.

SG1 asked for my help in writing an email to her hotel for her winter vacation stay in Europe, so I was beyond psyched to for-reals help someone by using English. I like SG1 lots. Her English listening is good and my Korean listening is good, though we both come up short in the talking department. I told her I want to talk more in the future.

For unknown reasons, Adele's "Someone Like You" was playing over the school speakers a bit ago. Like, I don't think it was coming from a classroom. I think it was on the PA system. It was funny, because B-Teacher and I both began singing "hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited" at the same time, and I could have sworn he wasn't the sing-along type.

Got a facebook message from Youngmin. It consisted of thumbs-up icon pictures. 3rd-graders be so weird, yo.
-----------------------------------