Pages

.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

7-9-14 Gimin, Phone Rain, and New Friends

2:50 PM

Great day thus far. I had written down Gimin's birthday on my calendar, so I made up a present for him today. Just as I was stepping out of my office door to deliver it to him, he was walking in to retrieve it, and it was a cute moment.

HH got into my computer and downloaded a translation-dictionary app, which is now also on my phone because everything downloaded on the computer account is tied to the phone. They are synced. HH was so very proud of himself for downloading a (free)dictionary for me. I think I'll keep it.

Taegyoon stayed with me for almost all the after-lunch period and played my vocab-learning app with me while I let Hyo watch Finding Nemo on my computer.

In class, NG was telling me that he was hoping it would rain so that the kids' sports clubs (which he has to oversee in the 95 degree heat) would be canceled. I asked if it was supposed to rain this afternoon and he checked his phone and said, "The weather forecast for this area tells me that it's raining now." Cue us looking out the window at the very-much-not-raining sunlit sky. Sometimes the forecast doesn't know what's what.

My new phone actually has a screensaver of raindrops trickling down the screen when it's raining outdoors. Because due to GPS, my phone knows where it lives. Though sometimes the screen trickles when there's no rain, as if there was a phantom rain somewhere, with which it is crying in sympathy.

It was JY-Teacher's birthday today and I wrote her a thank-you/birthday note all in Korean, about 5 sentences long. Technology Teacher gave me a package of cookies with the Korean word "precious" written on them. He said my name then pointed to the word, which made me laugh and blush at the same time. I'm telling you, my bashful streak--nonexistent in America--is kicked off by the slightest thing.

Deokryong came by twice, and I was glad to see Afro-Jiwoong and Myeongbae came by as well--I told Myeongbae I missed him and he returned the compliment.

At lunch, I went down with SY-Teacher, one of the 3rd-grade homeroom teachers. We have decided that no matter how hard it is to communicate, we're going to keep trying to talk to each other. We sat with Tall-PE-Teacher and Sharp-PE-Teacher, and had a great convo. Sharp-PE-Teacher wants me to talk to him only in English, which is very brave. I'm thrilled to have more friends to chat with.
----------------------------------------