Pages

.

Monday, July 21, 2014

7-22-14 Last Day Before Summer Vacation

11:10 AM Finished my last class of the semester. Oh.

Oy vey. I am going to miss these kids so hard. Sooooo hard. I know I'm just leaving for a month, but the level of separation worry I'm experiencing is pretty darn high.

My little Yechan in 1st grade, a beautiful little guy who drew beautiful pictures of potatoes and got into a knock-down-drag-out fight with Cool Guy Hyunseo and who told me my eyes were "Shingihaeyo"(amazing) is moving to China for 4 years.

I had to say goodbye to him and know that he was going somewhere better because his father is living in China and the family is just now getting to go over and be with him. I went to Yechan's homeroom today and got his phone number. The other kids were horrifically jealous, except for Jungseop, who had my Kakao already and who had to rub it in everyone's faces. I'll miss you, little Yechan. Do well.

Minhwe already came by for his farewell chocolate. So did Jaehee and Ponyfish Minwoo. HH is gone to the Philippines and I haven't seen BY or BH today.

In 2-3, 2-4, I sat with SG2 and just stared at the kids and thought about how special they were. I gave Hyunho a necklace charm of a silver wing from my USB chain. I use a silver necklace chain to keep my USB on, and I've added a few silver necklace charms to it to make it pretty.

The chain unclasped while I was starting our movie, and one of the charms fell to the floor. For some reason, I decided not to put it back on. Instead I walked past Hyunho and handed it to him. He looked like I'd given him gold--for some reason, the silver feather charm was deeply special to him. He came to the back of the class and asked SG2 to tell him how to say something, then he repeated her words back to me, "I will keep this forever."

How beautiful. I'm so surprised that my boy was that touched.


I'm hungry to see my family, so I can't wait to leave. On the other hand, this trip to America feels like just that--a fun, exciting trip before I return to my job/house/regular life. Isn't it funny?

------------------------------------------------

12:20 PM:   No lunch today. The kids are all gone.

Minjoonie picked up my fish and carried him off, to babysit him for the summer. I stopped Jaehyung at the door and hugged him goodbye. Hugged B-Teacher goodbye just now as he left...and nearly broke down in tears. I am coming back in August. All is fine.

I am going on an adventure! And that is a fine thing to be on. About to say bye to the other teachers in the office and hit the road.
---------------------------------------

4 PM: Packed everything. Got my checked bag and carryon and purse all ready. Got my outfit for the plane and my pain reliever and my iPOd and my book and my itineraries printed out.

Turns out, school letting out at 12:30 was just what I needed. It took all that time to have a good lunch, double-check that I haven't overpacked, make sure that my souvenirs for the siblings are well-cushioned, etc.

I tossed about 5 small bags of garbage, cleaning as I packed, and I walked a couple blocks down the road to pay my utilities for next month, transfer a little more cash to my American account (since I'll be there for a month), and grab some travel-size toothbrushes and shampoos.

Got passport, got debit cards that work in Korea and America, and got cash in three currencies--dollars, won, and yen. Got medications in a plastic baggie, and I'm going to pack my electronics at the last minute.

I think I'm ready.

Saw little Gil-Oh in town. He trotted after me to say 'hi' as I came back from the bank. Adorable babies are everywhere.
------------------------------------------