Pages

.

Sunday, July 20, 2014

7-21-14 Culture Trip, and Praying for Jeongmin's Teeth

12 PM: Great morning. Just chilled with SG2 and compared weekends. She went to the mountains and I went on a cultural trip with the other native teachers where I got to stay in a hanok house, try on hanbok, listen to traditional instruments, etc. It was pretty sweet and delightfully well-organized.

Jeongmin came by this morning and I gave him a stern little speech about thankfulness when he said he didn't want the chocolate I gave him because he thought it'd made his teeth hurt, and didn't I have something better, more special than chocolate?

After explaining to him why his behavior was unacceptable and obtaining an apology, I found out that his teeth are genuinely hurting and he might have to have a root canal. Sometimes what seems like a whine has a deeper cause. Anyhoo, I put my hand on his little face and prayed for God to heal his hurting. I think that's only the second time I've outright prayed over a student.

Brought my fish to school. He's in a Tupperware tub, and Minjoonie will take him home to babysit him for the summer. The kids are stone-cold fascinated by my little betta fish and keep coming by to see him. I do a little baby-fish voice and talk to them in Korean, giving my betta a voice.

Gave Jaehee a birthday present of the matching game "No Speed Limit". He loved it.

Had a great time talking to NG in class about our experience of being kidnapping for singing on Wednesday. Comparing stories, it was pretty funny. Even though he didn't have the second-language issue that I did, it was more uncomfortable for him because he's reserved, shy, and doesn't like socializing at the best of times. But even the most uncomfortable experiences can lead to great stories, so it all turned out well.

----------------------------------