Pages

.

Sunday, June 8, 2014

6-9-14 Mint Disaster, Hyunkyeong, Speaking Test

10:30 AM

Heh, heh. Had the weirdest stocking-related mishap this morning. I had a small run in my hose (near the foot, not quite noticeable), but I didn't see it until I was out the door. No problem, I thought. The convenience stores are have packages of hose and stockings, so I'll just grab one when I stop to buy bottled water.

Well. When I got to school and unwrapped the packet to change into the new pair, the weirdest minty smell emanated from somewhere. A nasty, icky smell and it was strong, too--intense, one might say.Then I realized the horrible eucalyptus-mint-moutwash smell was coming from the stockings themselves. Perplexed, I looked at the packaging... It had a picture of a mint leaf and the words "control" on it.

Erm. Whut. The picture on the front of the package was of a young woman wearing pretty silk stockings, but the stuff inside the package was a thick material clearly meant to "control" something, and also probably meant for the elderly.

Well. I could either go through the day with super-controlled tights reeking of eucalyptus mint, or I could toss the new stockings and wear the ones with the run in them. Guess which I chose. And let this be a lesson to me--read the Korean packages before you buy them, or you might find yourself stuck in a school bathroom stall with mint-flavored retirement-home stockings. Whhhhhhhy Korea?

----------------

12 PM:  Since there seems to have been some doubt, let me clarify: I went with holey, not minty.

2nd-graders are doing decent with their memorization. Yeonghan knows the answer to every soccer question ever and he and I got into a fierce debate over whether Ronaldo or Messi was the better soccer player. Because I have debates about those sorts of things, now. I'm a soccer-y gal.


Saw America Hyunkyeong on the walk to school today. He and I had gotten in the same elevator on Thursday night at the movie theater, so our run-ins had been quite frequent lately. But today he called out to me on his bike so I'd hear him coming from 30 yards away and thus anticipate his grand arrival, I guess. Then he pulled up his bike and stopped it next to me so the passing middle-schoolers could see how cool he was and how casual and flirty he was being with the American teacher.

He trotted out the "Hiiii. I'm fine thank you and you" line, smooth as butter, clearly putting on a show for the younger boys. I reached up and patted his hair, which simultaneously showed my great affection for him and indicated that to me, he is a sweet, cute puppy. The other guys laughed, but Hyunkyeong laughed too. I didn't damage that tremendous ego one bit, because he made sure to holler at me again from inside the snack shop. Oh, America. I'm glad I see you often enough that I don't have to miss you, because I would so miss you. I hope you study books sometimes.
-----------------------------

4:30 PM:

Day was good. For 3rd grade, we finished early and the entire class was begging to watch The Hunger Games (the most vocal proponent being PonyFish Minwoo), so we saw 10 more minutes. They also loved the soccer video I did for them--Soccer Minwoo is very gratified that now we can have proper arguments about his favorite players.

For 1st grade, I did a speaking test and it went right well. Turns out, a lot of the boys say they genuinely like English class and for my part, I believe them. Because I love all my little ones, but 1-1, 1-2 has a special flair. During his test, my Chango intentionally chose harder words to convey his meanings, to show off his vocabulary.
-----------------------