Pages

.

Thursday, May 29, 2014

5-30-14 Jiyoonie, Reassuring Dongjoon

3:30 PM:  Not positive, but I think I might have William-Jiyoon's heart. He's in my new afterschool, but couldn't come to the first two days because he had swim meets to go to. But today in class he answered a million questions, and I motioned him to my office for chocolate. He lingered around the office and translated other students for me.

When I asked him if he'd be in afterschool next week, he said yes and looked interested when I told him the book and movie we were watching. My little psycho sure is looking angelic these days.

I had a minor come-apart with my babies in 1st grade today, but I didn't raise my voice and wasn't angry. Friday boys are always the ones I have to get on to, and today Jinhyuk knocked over a giant flat screen television after being warned repeatedly to calm down. I gave them all a big speech in dreadful Korean, and Jeongmook asked me to please use English. So I switched over, and by hook or crook, by kids knew what I meant.

I thought we were all okay, but afterward I was surprised to see that Jinhyuk was about to cry and Dongjoon kept bowing and holding my hand, in the posture of a whipped puppy. I had to reassure both boys repeatedly that I wasn't mad and that everything was okay. I forget that me being upset with Jinhyuk and Dongjoon means more to them because I'm one of the people who loves them--when one of the adults in your life is stressed out over you, it's hard. I told Dongjoon, "Don't worry. You are my boy." Those words always seem to work.

------------------------------------