Pages

.

Monday, May 12, 2014

5-13-14 Woohyuk Works, 3rd Grade Rocks

11 AM: Classes were good!

I didn't get much sleep last night because I was putting together a second lesson for my little 2nd-grade guys today. It was still on extreme sports, but I simultaneously simplified it and spiced it up.

It went over well. Woohyuk did his worksheet, which he never does, and then came to my office for chocolate, which he never does. I like my Woohyuk--he's in the same crew with Soonhyuk and Governor Yunho, but he's been a teensy bit of a holdout.

SG2 complimented me on my preparations--she said she thought I really put a lot of thought and effort into my lessons. She wanted to know where I found my GIFs, the animated pictures I put into every lesson. I told her I just internet-search for them, and that sometimes it's a time-consuming process, but it connects with the kids in a surprisingly strong way.

My Yeonghan had a headache and Donggu was a little blue, so I made sure to ask them how they were feeling, and to pat their backs and let them know I sympathized with them. They both came to the office for chocolate and I got them to ask me questions, gradually shifting them into the Question-Time system. If you win something in class, you can come for chocolate, but you still have to speak. Fortunately, Yeonghan, Soonwoo, Myeongui and crew all think this makes getting chocolate more fun.

My 3rd-grade class was amazinggg. Due to midterms and then the long weekend, I haven't taught them in three weeks and I forgot how much I missed Seongmo, Seohyung, Daehoon, and the rest. Seokyoon and Seonghak did a dialogue where they changed the parts and it was hilarious, since nobody else had been playful with the language in that way.

At the end, we played a game I made with Wordle, where I showed them 5 English words, then had them guess what the words had in common. Chaehwan did well on it, as did Byeongmin, who rarely tries. Taegyeong did well with his dialogue and overall, they were just super-darlings. During class, Chansu noticed that KBR had changed her phone since she was his homeroom teacher last year, and that was cute--the little things they notice.
--------------