Pages

.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

10-22-14 Videotape and My Little Pony

9:15 AM 

I have an open class today. Noooo. And please no. I was counting on just having the two open classes on Friday, not three total. This week was supposed to be speaking tests for the 3rd-graders.

Anyhoo, it's a 3rd-grade class with Mr. B, so we'll be okay. And he says we'll be photographed? I think my hair looks decent today, probably.

--------------------------------------------------------------

11:30 AM   First class went fine. It was 2-7, 2-8 and Gicheol really shone. He's one of the tangential 2nd-grade cool kids, because he doesn't have the same swagger as Beomjoon, the same entitlement as Yunho or the same flair as Soonhyuk. Gicheol slumps. He hides. He's deathly quiet.

And he's usually overshadowed by my little Yunho, who sits by him. I'm rarely gonna work overtime to get Gicheol to talk to me when charming Yunho's gobbling up the attention. But today, Yunho was gone to the bathroom when I got around to the back of the room, and I spent several minutes with Gicheol, happily realizing that he was getting the questions right without much help.

And later on, he walked over to where I was working with two other kids (who have a lower level of understanding), and he sat by me and watched every move as I helped them fill out their paper, often supplying the answers when they were too slow, in his opinion, I finally left Gicheol with the boys and instructed him to help them, which seemed to please him immensely.

I built an Eiffel Tower out of rubber-coated wire leftover from the Saturday class party. I was accompanied in my efforts by various kids, particularly Jinshik, a 3rd-grdaer who has a lot of English and great pronunciation for a B or C level. If I give him time to form his ideas, he can communicate a lot. He and I discussed our mutual love for the Korean crime show "Bad Guys," which is currently airing.

Jaehyung sat with me a lot today and he was singing a song in English, I asked what it was from and he said "mai riropani". I could not parse this, so he googled it. And came up with this:


Mai Riropani: Friendship is Magic

He then asked me to select my favorite pony. I said Rainbow Dash, while Jaehyung prefers Pinkie Pie. However, he doesn't feel like this will cause a rift in our relationship.


Open class wasn't open--nobody came, we just set up a video camera and Mr. B and I taught. But when we checked the camera, the memory card was full, so I don't know how much footage was captured. We may have to do it again?

_____________________________________________