Pages

.

Monday, February 24, 2014

2-24-14 Sanghwa and Kimbap!

4:30 PM   I don't deserve this much sweetness.

I went out for a long walk today, taking a book to read. As I was coming back from the invigorating, refreshing bit of exploration, I saw a lime green jacket out of the corner of my eye and heard, "Whup! Uh! Leighhhhh!"

It was Sanghwa, coming up the alley with his allies Afterschool Jeongmin and Redhair Joonyoung. Sanghwa was smiling to beat the band, and I said hi to them, them I hesitated and looked for some Korean words: "배 고파? 김밥 사 줄까?" (bae gopa? kimbab sajulkka?) or "Are you hungry? Shall I buy kimbap for you?" They responded very excitedly, and we all rushed into the convenience store.

After some debate, they picked their kimbap and I bought it. Sanghwa almost approached some girls who were sitting in the corner of the shop, but he decided not to talk to them after all. A case of shyness kicked in before he could make his move. Daww.

When we stepped outside and parted ways, they all said thank you in Korean and Sanghwa added in English, "Thank you, teacherrrr!" Gosh. When did this little terror get so lovable? Last two weeks of school, he didn't reply when I greeted him and now he's Captain Sunshine. He's my kid and I love doing things for him, when he lets me.

So here's pictures from today, of where I walked:



Damp Fields.

Bridge Over Troubled Highway.

Walking Track Wedged Between Troubled Highway and Damp Fields.

Paris Baguette Coffee Cup,
Or a Tiny Blue-Hardhatted Construction Worker.

Tilted For Maximum Headband-Visibility.

On the Bridge, Mid-Walk.

"Love You, Mom!"

-----------------------------------------------

10 PM: Studied alone tonight at a coffee shop. I almost always have company with me, but tonight I was flying solo. Some man I'm certain I don't know banged on the window of the coffeeshop to get my attention, then waved at me. I waved back once, but I know he's not a teacher, not one of my in-town acquaintances, and not one of the shopkeepers I'm familiar with. He didn't come inside and it wasn't a scary moment, but it was surprising. Like someone tapping a goldfish bowl--it seems like something one of the kids would do. Could he be one of my kids' dads?

And one of the grocery store stockers stopped me on my walk home to tell me he loved me. He's young and seems mentally slow, perhaps not quite autistic but not fully grownup in his thinking either, so I just smiled and thanked him. The grocery store staff, including a couple of ahjummas (middle-aged women) have gotten more fond of me lately after they've heard me speaking a bit of Korean. I like making actual connections with the people who run my favorite stores and restaurants, and that seems to be happening more lately.

----------------------------