Pages

.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

1-9-14 Walk-to-School Video, Daesung in Class

12:30 PM  Class was good! It was even colder than anticipated this morning. So. Cold. Weather website says it's -2 Celsius outside (28 Fahrenheit), but with windchill it feels like -18 C  ( 0 F)




This morning, after freezing myself into oblivion, I got to my classroom where Seongyo was waiting. And Daesung came, too--I thought he was jut visiting for a few minutes like he's done every other day of winter camp, but he stayed with us for both class periods, and did the activities with us! So now I've officially taught Daesung in a classroom setting, even though he's 3rd-grade C-class and I would otherwise never get to work with him.

We did a memory game with Daesung, Seongyo, Yosep and Grasshopper-Jeongmin, where there would be a slide of 8 animal drawings, then one or two animals would be missing, and they'd have to say which was gone. But the position of the animals re-arranged with every slide, so it wasn't a simple matter to pick what was different, and for added difficulty the later slides replaced pictures with English words, so the boys had to read the words and spot what was missing.

I was really proud of Seongyo because he started using his phone to take pictures of the first slides, so that when I switched to the second slide, he still had an immediate visual reference. I don't consider that cheating; I consider that to be cleverness. That's real-world problem-solving, seeing a gap in informationa dn figuring out a way to bridge the gap.

Also, the boys are using their phone dictionaries all the time now, since they've seen me using mine. When we did this fun Powerpoint Christmas quiz, Jeongmin and Yosep were continually looking up words like "sleigh" and "Grinch" to make correct answers. Again, this is terribly intelligent. This is them using the resources at their disposal to discover English words and use them for a goal. Eeee so cool.
--------------------------------------