Pages

.

Monday, December 2, 2013

12-3-13 Aggressive Seongsu, Junho's Fine!, and Photos

10 AM: First class was so good. Had darling little 2-7, 2-8 B, and they are so lovable. We did a "draw an invention for the future" activity and they ate it up. Changyo invented a bridge from Korea to China, Duyeol made hand-warmers for a bicycle, Jungbok made a pill that instantly gives you a perfect body, and Danhee invented a machine to clone himself so clone-Danhee could go to school while real-Danhee stayed home and slept.

The Iconmania game was beloved today as it was yesterday. They had the best time and Joonwoo almost got "Pocahontas". The boys crowded around for chocolate afterwards and the team that won got theirs first of course, but everyone else knows that they're loved and if they ask nice enough, they'll get some too. And soon the A-class and C-class boys were filing in as well. Baby-Minho, Sharp-Sukyoon, Boisterous Jinbong, and Jiwoong were all crowding around for theirs.

I asked Jiwoong, "Can you smile?" and he did. I accidentally left Good-Hair-Jeongwook hanging around unrecognized for so long, he said, "You don't know me?" making me instantly repentant and sad for not calling his name sooner. Shotputter Jinseong was at the complete wrong end of the hall for his homeroom class, but he came in anyway for chocolate. Then Dongjin and Seongsu came in for chocolate but I told them that there wasn't any more.

Seongsu did something new and not-wonderful when he heard there was no chocolate: he slammed his hands against the wall on either side of my head, which made me back up a few inches toward the wall. I wasn't rattled though, because I know Seongsu. I shoved him backward and told him to cool it, then I picked up my computer calmly and gathered my stuff.

Seongsu wasn't even really that upset; he's just probably been watching a lot of K-dramas (this move happens on TV all the time) and there aren't any girls around for him to practice on to see how menacing this action might potentially be. Because it could seem menacing if he did it to someone younger, it's my job to push him and let him know that he's not getting his way through scare tactics, but neither is he some intimidating monster. He's an awesome boy who needs to be appreciated, then told where the boundaries are.

Saw Kyeonghyun and Seokho upstairs, had a pleasant greeting. Saw Daeho, who is even happier to see me now that he has my email. On Friday, he asked me to email him a certain file, so I did, expecting that to be the end of it. Soon he was asking for my phone number and I was explaining why I wasn't giving it and why he didn't need it. It wasn't serious--we both thought the exchange was funny.

And actually, from what I know, the teachers here do give their phone numbers to students--I think it's basically required for the homeroom teachers to do so because they're like a third parent to the students. And I've read blogs from Native English Teachers who I respect where they say that they give their number to students for texting practice and it's all fine.

I just have to pray and reason out what is best for the students. I fully intend to give Saturday-Jeongmin every possible piece of contact info for while he's in Canada, because he will need it. And I probably wouldn't mind the 3rd-graders sending me messages after they graduate to high school, once they're not my students and not stuck in the same building with me every day. But right now Daeho is an inquisitive kid doesn't need the extra distraction.

Huge fight broke out on the 3rd floor. I walked up and suddenly saw 50 boys in the hallway. One boy was shouting curses as his friend dragged him to the bathroom and the loser was clutching a bloody nose as a teacher led him away by the hand. No idea.
--------------------------------------------------

11 AM: My Vice Principal asked me which degrees I have, so that he could encourage me to become a professor in Korean some time in the future. He says I can do it. I feel so happy that he has that confidence in me. Squeeee. That is my employment goal and I will work toward it. It means so much to me when an authority figure in my life thinks I'm good enough to accomplish something big.

Daeho came by the big office to talk to another teacher. When he exited out my door, I gave him chocolate and he took that opportunity to lean close and whisper, "Phone number..." Oy. This kid, I swear. Just when you think he's going to let it go.
---------------------------------------------------

3 PM: At lunch, finally brought out the new Monopoly set. 3rd-graders We-Are-the-World Dongyeong and Daesung played with me, as did a new kid named Wonbin. G-Teacher, a female English teacher who is my age but who doesn't talk to me much because she's shy, sat with us and explained the game to the boys. It was wonderful. I was so grateful for her presence--I need to make sure I thank her for that great lunchtime.

No Jeongminnie at lunchtime, not sure why.

Actively went looking for Junho today because I didn't see him yesterday either. I've considered asking Co-Teacher or KBR-Teacher if I'm just not seeing him or if he's really not in school, but I don't know his family name and there are several Junho's in this school. I don't even know his class number...I just think it's 2-6 because he's always at that end of the hall. Anyhow, I'm medium-worried at not seeing him yet again when he used to be a ubiquitous feature of the 2nd-floor hallway.

Oldest Teacher is calling me "Santa-Halmae" because my fluffy multi-hued school boots make me look like Santa's grandmother.

2-5, 2-6 A had a good time with their drawing and their icon game. We laughed a lot. Deokjae picked up my habit of shouting, "Guys!"

Computer Jeongmin carried my computer twice today and was shocked to learn that I was American--he thought Canadian, for unknown reasons.

Saw Byeongyoonie this morning, asked how he was feeling because he looked tired. He said he hadn't gotten much sleep last night, but accepted side-hugging me as consolation. Later he actually snuck up and surprised me in the hallway, then ducked out of reach before I could punch his arm. Spoilsport.
------------------------------------------------------------------

6 PM:

Names to remember and talk about later from 3-1, 3-2 B: Seungbom (new player), Joohan (lives near me), Sunhong (action movie).

Junho is fine! Whew. WHEW. I was just in the wrong hallways all day. After my 7th period, I passed him as he was leaning out a window, threatening to chuck his shoes at some kid on the ground. I thanked God for letting him be alright, then I walked past quietly. Junho followed me into the stairwell to ask, "My girl! Going...home?" I told him I had to teach one more class, then I gave him chocolate. Yay, he's not hurt!

Left BY another note telling him how awesome he is, and when I returned after cleaning time, he had left this:




21  18 is the best!

With a clue ("alphabet") for me to figure it out. The answer is "U R" the best, and yes I dide have to write the entire alphabet to figure it out. I'm blonde.