Pages

.

Monday, October 21, 2013

10-22-13 Scattergories, Time With Byeongsu, and Sleep-Debt

10 AM: 2-7, 2-8 B was good. In there we've got: Sweet-Voice- Chansu, Glasses-Intelligent-Jungbok, Jolly-Sanghyeop, Cardsharp-Minsu, Date-Danhee, Loud-Team-Three-Duyeol.

The new name I've got is Duyeol, a smart, loud boy who was essentially the only member of Team 3 and who won 90% of their points for them. When we did the "musical instrument" category for Scattergories, he got out his music book and cheated to get the word "oboe". When the other boys pointed this out, I erased his score for that word.

Cardsharp-Minsu usually doesn't participate worth a flip, but he was participating during the bomb game at the end. And squinting his eyes so terribly...I'm worried about Minsu's eyesight. Date-Danhee answered a few questions, which was good since he's a cool kid who normally doesn't try.

During the game, Sweet-Voice Chansu got so animated, he would stand up to answer questions. When he picked a question that stole points from another team, he was so enthused and ready to rub the victory in, he got up and danced Gangnam Style. This happened in my class. I heart Chansu very much.

After class, when the boys were crowding around for chocolate, I asked the newbies "How many brothers and sisters do you have?" Jiwoong came in and said he had one younger sister. So he's an oppa!

Need-You-Junho came in from the C-class, and I wanted to give him chocolate, so I asked him what his favorite color was, then had to repeat the question in Korean so he'd understand. He said "black," and so did his friend, Boisterous-Jinbong, who I got to write down his name so I'd remember it.
----------------------------------------------------

11 AM: Went down to the special-needs room and played UNO with Jaehyung and the C-class boys, Jeongmin and Minwoo. That marks the sixth Jeongmin and the third Minwoo I know. They were darling. Seongwon insisted on holding our spare UNO cards and dealing out the correct number to the losers. Daesung came by and told me he wanted to play it next time.

And apparently, O-Teacher facebook messaged me to let me know Jaehyung was waiting for me, so I wandered into class slightly ten minutes after he'd been waiting. Little-Byeongsu saw me playing the cups game and he was interested, so me and Jaehyung spent 15 minutes teaching it to him. It was great, bringing in the antisocial one with an activity he enjoyed.
---------------------------------------------

1:30 PM Secret-Daeho came by and opened my office door just to inform me that he noticed I was wearing skinny jeans (leggings) today, and he approves. My shirt is almost knee-length, so this is still super modest, but I think Daeho just ensured that I never wear this outfit again.

-------------------------------------------------------------

2:30 PM 2-5, 2-6 A was grand, with Yeongjoon (smart), Tanned-Minsu, Adorable-Insung, Talkative Jinseo, Tall-Gyuchan, and High-Voice Dongheum.

The new name I've gotten is Dongheum, a darling boy who looks like Gyuchan but is more babyish. Class was enjoyable--they went bananas for Scattergories, and we only ended up having time for Scattergories and the bomb game, but everyone was happy. I felt really at home with them. 

They tried so hard to cheat at "Dessert" scattergories, insisting that salad and burritos were considered desserts in Korea. Nice try, cutiepies, but Leigh-Sem knows how desperate you are to win and how few scruples you have about telling untruths.

Smart-Yeongjoon likes my leggings, too. He also thinks we should play baseball sometime near my house, since it's too dangerous to play on the school grounds. Double-no to that one, but I appreciate his ingenuity.

The C-class 2nd-graders are learning the song I'm teaching Jaehyung on the piano--by ear. They can plunk out a fair amount of the melody without my teaching them.

Played UNO with just Daesung and Little-Byeongsu. Byeongsu was laughing and protesting and teasing through the whole game, so he was enjoying the company of others and also having a normal social interaction. I think O-Teacher would be happy. :-)
-----------------------------------------------------------

7 AM: Updating now because I went for a "nap" after dinner at 7 PM yesterday, and didn't wake up until a while ago. Talk about sleep debt!