Pages

.

Monday, April 13, 2015

4-13-15 Cookies and 2nd-Grade Gangsters

6 PM:    First cooking class with the 2nd-graders went well.  For the first period, the kids were bored as a gourd because only 4 of them could cook and I hadn't figured out what to do with the rest of them.

But me and HS worked out what to do with them for Friday, so the problems are mostly solved. Yee!

Today, I had a good time with Dongwoo, who has always been a kid with high English but who has never been particularly interested in chilling with me, unlike the other kids. But today I pointed out that he helped me more than anybody else did, and he grinned. I think we'll get along better in the future!

Changho suggested that my nickname should be "Lovely" and he's probably going to keep using it, if I know him.

Daehyun, who loves me, noticed that I'm friendly with Chanhee (who also loves me), which naturally led to accusations of dating, because 2nd-grade logic works that way. "Teacher + Chanhee" was written in a heart on the board after class, so according to Monday's conversation class, I'm a couple with one of the biggest gangsters in 2nd grade.

But I think it's mostly positive attention for Chanhee, which is good for him. He's always in trouble for something. Last year, he gave his homeroom teacher fits and never obeyed at all, and this year I've already seen him kneeling in the stone-floor hall outside the big office, doing punishments for smoking.

I didn't know his name until this semester, but he's my boy. I want him to be healthy and happy, and anything sweet I can do for him is all to the positive side of things.

Jungyoon, a little fireball of joy and fun, offered up a great commentary on the cookie-baking and took it upon himself to reshape the "ugly" cookies into prettier shapes.

I found out that if a cookie recipe calls for 2 sticks of butter and 1 egg, you can use 1 stick of butter and 2 eggs and get a similar result--knowledge gained!

I had a batch of cookies leftover after class, so I fed them to 1st-graders who muddled their way into class. SG had one and she said it was good, so score!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------